Home | Contact Us | Pitch Locations
Sun 1st December 2013 - League
Wyrley Jnr Jags 1 V 2 Panthers
Pitch :
Match Report

                                 Panthers go top of the league !


Today we went to Heath Hayes for this all important away match against Wyrley, a team who also has one eye on the Premiership title this season after only losing one game so far .....and yet to lose at home. This was to become perhaps more apparent as we arrived at the ground, the pitch was of a size that suited an under 7's game and certainly something that we are not used to at Shenstone !

However, ready to start, the lads lined up for kick off in their usual 4-4-2 formation with a gap of approx 2 metres between each player as the 2pm whistle blew.

We started the first half uphill and soon took control, we were certainly up for this game and were looking lively, something that has perhaps let us down in the past. We only had to wait 5 minutes before our first clear cut chance, a through ball from Tom was pounced on by the forward running Nathan who poked his shot narrowly wide of the post. As you would expect, the game was tight, lively and a bit frantic.......running or passing into any kind of space was proving difficult. After 10 minutes Bailey moved up ( only about 20 yards) from his right back position to the edge of the Wyrley penalty area before hitting a cracking shot that went just wide. We maintained the majority of the possession and continued to take the initiative, Will and Nathan were usually surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders and so found it difficult to have any clear cut chances. Any through balls were usually gathered by their keeper, even the rapid Nathan found it hard to find an opening. However, after about 15 mins Wyrley decided to venture into our half and forced a corner....the warning was there that it only takes a second to score a goal and undo all our good work.

20 minutes in, Connor came on for Tom H, leaving Ethan and Alfie ( Bobby unavailable today) eagerly awaiting their chance to come off 'the bench.' During the next couple of minutes our dominance forced further corners, as Will took, one was headed close by Tom YD and another struck just over by Nathan. We continued to press for that first goal and came closest after 25 mins when a cross/shot from Connor was nearly slid in by Nathan at the far post. After 28 minutes Wyrley had their second attack, this ended in a shot that hit the bar and again the warnings were there that perhaps this was not going to be our day ! At the other end, during the last 5 minutes, we continued to put pressure on the Wyrley goal with further efforts from Connor, Mitch, Nathan, Will which all came to nothing....partly due to some good goalkeeping it must be said.

The half time whistle blew at 0-0, a team talk followed with Ethan on for Regan and Alfie replacing Brad. We were quickly made aware that the second half was not going to go all our own way, after only 2 minutes Wyrley nearly scored from a free kick when an attacker ran unnoticed round the back of our defence but luckily shot wide. If anyone thought the downhill slope was going to help us then we were mistaken, Wyrleys pressure forced us to give freekicks away putting us now on the back foot. It was after about 5 minutes that one such long range effort somehow squeezed under Aidan and crawled across the line....1-0 down. The game became more end to end as we looked for an equaliser, Regan came on for Alex as we pushed forward. Wyrley hit the bar as did the influencial Ethan who was making a difference cutting in from the right.

Joe and Tom YD were working well/hard in stopping Wyrley going further ahead whilst Bailey and Alfie pushed forward at every opportunity. The tension grew with both sets of supporters becoming more excited and vocal. With about 15 minutes left Tom H came back on for Connor as we kept pushing forward, it was with about 10 minutes left that we got our rewards. Ethan floated a free kick into the penalty area which,during a scramble, was bundled over the line by Nathan ....1-1 with 10 minutes to go, nail biting stuff !

By this stage the Wyrley support were getting noticeably very 'loud' on the opposite touch line ie. everyone was shouted at.... the ref, their players, our players , our coaches, our parents  and even our honest linesman Mr Young was on the end of their frustrations. The best and only way to silence the home crowd happened with literally the last kick of the game. During another of our attacks the ball fell to Nathan just inside the box, he struck the ball first time with the outside of his boot low into the far corner as the keeper could only watch it goes past him.

The final whistle blew as the Panthers support went mad with excitement and even the subs ran on the pitch to join in with their teams goal celebrations......a fantastic end to an exciting and close game.

Due to the fact that elsewhere Stafford had beaten Sutton meant that we were now top of the league ( Sutton now second and Stafford third)

Great performance by all the lads and a very enjoyable game.


Parents Man of the Match : Joe

Managers Man of the Match : Tom YD


Website Development by CANDA Systems LTD