Home | Contact Us | Pitch Locations
Sun 15th December 2013 - League
Bullets 13 V 0 Four Oaks Saints Colts
Pitch : Braemar Rd Pitch 2
Match Report

Match Report – Sunday 15th December –Four Oaks Bullets vs Four Oaks Saints Colts


Bullets had their final match before the Christmas break, as they entertained Four Oaks Saints Colts. It was a local derby for the team and bragging rights in the playground for Monday morning, as a lot of the players on either side attend the same school.

It was an early start and Bullets were down on numbers, with 5 players missing. However the Colts were in a far worse position, as they only had nine players. This obviously made the Bullets task a lot easier, however to take advantage of the numbers, it needed a disciplined approach.

Bullets kicked up hill in the first half and it was a frustrating start as the Colts defended well and Bullets were not quite on it going forward. There was plenty of possession but the final ball or effort on goal was below what was required.

Bullets started to turn the screw slowly and better chances were being created. Jack Wa worked his way through on the left but the finish did not match the approach play. Jack Wa then turned provider but this time Henry, missed the opportunity. Henry was through minutes later from Aaron’s lofted pass but the Colts scrambled back to clear the danger.

Over twenty minutes gone but no goals, the Colts were growing in confidence, the Bullets needed to finally make the numerical advantage pay. The nerves were finally settled, when Charlie split the defence with his pass, Henry ran through and steered the ball past the keeper to put the Bullets ahead. It was the same combination a couple of minutes later, as Henry’s head met Charlie’s perfectly flighted free-kick. It was three in the space of four minutes, as Henry turned provider, to give Dan S a simple tap in.

The defensive three were having a quiet day, regulars Sam and Elliot C were doing their job, and Rajan had slipped into the sweeper’s role (for the missing Dan P). The Colts were understandably not getting many numbers forward. However as the Bullets went in search of more goals, the defence was getting stretched. Luke was called into action, out bravely to deny the Colts the chance to pull a goal back.

The Colts forced a corner but this led to the Bullets next goal. The corner was cleared and Bullets mounted the fast break, Henry powered through and struck his shot, which was well saved but Henry was quickest to the rebound, to notch his hat-trick. Vish had come on and he was quickly using his skill and pace to create a chance for himself but the keeper made the save and made a better save to deny Charlie on the rebound.

The Bullets managed to notch a fifth goal before the break, when Jack Wa looping shot was flapped away, falling for Reuben, who hammered the loose ball into the roof of the net. This was Reuben’s first competitive goal for the Bullets and it was an excellent finish.

There were a couple of positional changes in the second half, as it was impressed upon the players to make full use of the width of the pitch, to maximise the numerical advantage. After Reuben’s first Bullets goal just before half time, it was Aaron’s turn to score his first goal for the Bullets, shortly after the break. He made up a lot of ground to slide in at the far post, to convert Henry’s cross. Filip thought he had made it a quick three first time scorers, when he seized on the loose ball to prod home but he was harshly adjudged to have kicked the ball out of the keeper’s hand.

The second half settled into a familiar pattern as Bullets poured forward and the Colts tried to stem the flow. They were helped as the Bullets in their eagerness to get forward, forgot the offside laws and the linesman was working overtime with the flag. You could understand the players wanting to get on the scoresheet but it was more individual stuff at times, when a team approach would have been more beneficial.

It would be churlish to be critical of the overall performance, as Bullets ran in further goals in the second half and eventually notched thirteen. The lack of numbers on the Colts side, would tell as the game wore on and but for some excellent goalkeeping and some greediness on occasions, the scoreline could and perhaps should have been more.

Henry racked up his fourth goal when he finished a run and square pass from Jack Wa. Then Vish produced the goal of the game, skipping past several defenders on a mazy crossfield run, before bursting the box into and showing composure in slotting the ball into the corner of the net. Jack Wa was next on the scoresheet seizing on Henry’s blocked shot, to fire home.

Dan S took over for the remainder of the match, as he slotted away three further goals, showing some excellent composure and clinical finishing as the Colts defence was evaporating under the pressure. Charlie also managed to get himself of the scoresheet, after setting up several of the goals, it was his turn to get forward onto Reuben’s through ball, showing good balance to glide past the keeper and tuck into the empty net.

Credit must go to the nine for the Colts, who tried their hearts out for their manager and never gave up despite the situation. It is never nice to be on the end of such a scoreline but the Bullets had to be ruthless given the circumstances.

Dan S won the managers man of the match award for his four goals, showing some clinical finishing when the situation arose.

Vish won the parents man of the match for his skills on the ball and his good use of possession. This was topped with a ‘Vishi’ showing skills, balance and pace to produce a goal a certain Mr Messi would have been proud of.

A break for the Bullets as the Christmas period is upon us. The next fixture is on 5th January 2014. Look out on the website for details, as soon as I know them and news of the Christmas meal and football tour, as I finalise the details.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. 

Website Development by CANDA Systems LTD